While setting up an antenna, it is essential to follow the most basic rule that is fixing it in a good height, for its best functioning. Since nowadays, the popularity and use of UHF spectrum for transmitting digital TV signals have subdued the use of VHF spectrum considerably, the need for setting up antennas at a greater height has become essential. This is so because, UHF signals are available at a higher frequency and the transmission is often interrupted if there is any barrier of brick or mortar like walls or building nearby.
It offers best functioning with a clear line of sight; therefore, you need to elevate the position of antenna installation of these antennas in order to receive a better reception.
While other VHF spectrums are not much susceptible to obstructed frequency, disturbances owing to barriers like trees, building, geographical obstructions, they are comparatively of lower frequency. However, in both the cases, the general trend is to set the antennas on a high and mounted position, and there is requirement for essential safety caution, but before pounding on to safety requirements, you need to understand why antenna installation is made in an outdoor location and not indoor.
Indoor vs outdoor installations:
Indoor installation of antennas is often not recommended since the:
- Height of the antenna will be lower than the frequency level and even below the clear line of sight.
- Even the digital signal weakens more and more with every obstruction of wall in the way of the signal.
Whereas in case of outdoor installations, you are able to have better reception due to less hindrances, frequency obstructions and complete range to the frequency.
Safety measures while antenna installation
While you take up a job of installing antenna it is essential that you keep in mind, that it is a job on a distinguished height where you need to climb up to that height and maintain essential safety to avoid risks and accidents. It is quite normal that people tend to overlook most common safety measures. But when it is about working on a height and even more about installation procedure of antennas, you need to pay heed to essential precautionary measures to avoid any accidental risks.
- The foremost essential fact in installation of antennas includes the spotting of nearby power lines and maintaining required distance from them, and you also need to maintain industry parameter defined safety distance between power lines and antenna.
- Since installations includes climbing up to a definite height to acquire best reception signal, it is always recommended to use the sturdiest commercial ladder available in the market. Apart from it, right position of the ladder at minimum 70 degree angle is an inevitable safety factor. Moreover, position your ladder in such a way that you need to avoid any wet, moist or slippery surface, since that may lead to skidding of the ladder. For extensive protection you can dig in the bottom of the ladder into the surface below, if possible.
- To offer the best possible support to any medical odd situation it is always preferable to carry a first aid kit with you.
- Any antenna that requires installation at 20 feet or more than that height definitely calls for more than one person to undergo the process of installation.
- It is always preferable to avoid the installation of antennas under overhanging tree branches if possible.
- Moreover, the tools and equipment’s you use for the installation process is also effectively essential, since poor quality of tools can lead to disturbances and disruptions in the work.
Your safety and protection in such risky jobs is highly essential, therefore always gauge the proper requirements of an installation, surfaces, location, height of the position etc. to determine required man power as well.